Lemon Meringue Slice
This is a great afternoon snack or morning tea. You can make it a day or two ahead, and wrap it up nicely for lunch boxes or to serve with a nice cup of tea to fend off three-thirtyitis.
You will need...
250gr packet of Arnott's Marie biscuits
2 Tbsp desiccated coconut
125gr unsalted butter, melted
2 tins sweetened condensed milk
3 lemons, zest and juice
4 eggs, room temperature, separated
3/4 cup of caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
extra desiccated coconut
- Grease and line a 25x15cm (roughly) lamington or slice tray.
- Combine the biscuits and 2 Tbsp desiccated coconut into a food processor. Blend until biscuits become a fine crumb. Add the melted butter and pulse until combined.
- Spoon biscuit base into the prepared slice tray and press firmly with your hands to form an even base. Place in the fridge for 1 hr.
- To make the filling, combine egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk and lemon rind with 3/4 cup of lemon juice. Pour filling onto base and pop into the freezer for 1 hr to set.
- To make the meringue, whip the egg whites to soft peaks then gradually add sugar 1 Tbsp at a time while beating on high.
- Beat the egg whites to firm silky peaks while adding all the sugar. Test if ready by pinching some of the meringue between your thumb and forefinger- if there are still sugar granules, continue to whip until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius. Use a spoon or piping bag to spread the meringue mixture over the filling, use a flat spatula to smooth the filling then sprinkle desiccated coconut over the top. Transfer tray to hot oven and bake for 30 minutes or until meringue is golden and set. Remove from oven and leave to cool to room temperature in pan. Remove and slice into squares to serve.