Coconut & Peach Cake

Not bad for a pantry raid!
I felt like making a cake on Saturday afternoon but seriously had zero motivation to put real pants on and go to the shops to buy any ingredients so it was kind-of a 'use whatever I have in the pantry' job. 

I had a bit of a rummage and came out with some tinned sliced peaches in syrup that had been in there for as long as I can remember (still in date though so it can't have been that long!) and a tin of coconut milk... as I had used the last of our fresh milk making the must-have morning flat whites.

In the fridge I found some eggs, vanilla and butter, and I pulled out my other pantry staples of flour and sugar. That was it! I had the basic necessities for a glorious cake!

I ended up looking for a basic cake recipe and improvising as I went along and luckily enough the thing turned out super moist, the texture was an absolute winner! The only mistake I made was having the oven up a bit too high and I ended up over-browning the sides and base, but I've adjusted the recipe here so that won't happen for you!

You will need...
190gr unsalted softened butter
1 1/2 cups of caster sugar
3 eggs
zest of 1 lemon & a tablespoon of the juice
tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup of coconut milk
2 cups sifted self-raising flour
1/4 tsp salt (I used ground Himalayan rock salt as it's all I had at hand!)
1 tin of peaches, liquid drained
some toasted coconut and honey yoghurt to serve (optional)

Method...
1. Grease and line a 10 inch cake tin. Preheat oven to 170 degrees fan-forced.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating quickly between each egg. Scrape down the sides to ensure your mix is an even consistency.
3. Add the flour and coconut milk in alternating batches, starting and ending with the flour (go 1/4 of each at a time), make sure you quickly beat between each addition to ensure a smooth texture.
4. Add the lemon zest & juice and the vanilla, fold to incorporate.
5. Chop 1/4 of the peaches and mix them through the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared tin, smooth out and then place the remaining peaches around the top.
A little bit of nostalgia, I had a cake that looked just like this when I was little... oh the 80's
6. Place the cake in the middle of your oven. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, turning half way to ensure even cooking. Insert a skewer and if it comes out clean your cake is ready.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin before removing, cutting and serving with sweetened yoghurt (or if you like you can make coconut cream) and toasted coconut.
OMG it was good!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George Calombaris' Pasticcio (AKA Greek Lasagna)

Anna-Maria's Zucchini Slice

Beef, Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni