Chilli Con Carne


My husband and I are big on Mexican food. We cook Mexican once or twice a week for dinner. Usually having tacos, I decided to do something a little bit different, so I incorporated traditional Mexican flavours in this dish (which I think might have originated in Texas? Don't shoot me if I'm wrong!). I always keep tortillas in the pantry but I had a sourdough baguette that needed to be used so I decided to use that as an accompaniment instead so I could use it up, if I were to use the tortillas I would cut them into triangles, like a pizza, and bake them in the oven to make them crispy to dip in the chilli.

You will need... 4-5 serves (depending on how big a bowl you like!)
700gr premium, grass-fed beef mince
1 Tbs olive oil
1 brown onion
1/2 red capsicum
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp smoky paprika
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes (or more if you like it very spicy!)
2 Tbs tomato paste
2 tins of chopped Italian tomatoes (organic if you can!)
400ml water
1 beef stock cube
To serve,
1 toasted tortilla per person, or a few slices of toasted bread
1 Tbs of sour cream per person
fresh coriander
If you like, you can add some diced fresh tomato, avocado and spanish onion over the top.

Method...
1. Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic, deseed and remove the membrane of the capsicum and cut into small cubes.

2. Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick saucepan (I actually used my wok for this one). Add the onion, capsicum and garlic and cook on medium-low to soften. Add the mince, turn the heat to high and cook until browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon to avoid clumping.
3. Add the spices and stir to release the flavours. Add the tomato paste, mix to coat the mince, then add the chopped tomatoes, water and stock cube. Mix while you bring it to the boil.

4. Reduce heat to low, and leave to simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasoning, add more chilli, salt or pepper if desired. Chilli should be thick and glossy, and mince should be soft. If this is not the case, leave the chilli to simmer until cooked.
5. Toast the tortillas or bread (whichever you decide to serve it with), spoon the chilli into bowls, dollop sour cream on top of each serve and finish with a few washed coriander leaves. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George Calombaris' Pasticcio (AKA Greek Lasagna)

Anna-Maria's Zucchini Slice

Beef, Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni