|The kids will love decorating these little guys!|
You will need...
250gr unsalted butter
200gr (1 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
250ml (1 cup), golden syrup
2 egg yolks
750gr (5 cups) plain flour
2 tsp bicarb soda
1 1/2 Tbs ground ginger
2 tsp mixed spice
1. Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and creamy, add the golden syrup and egg yolks and beat until combined.
2. Sift in flour, bicarb soda, ginger and mixed spice. Use your hands to combine until a firm dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until smooth.
3. Wrap dough in cling film and place in the fridge to rest for 1 hour
4. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two large baking trays with greaseproof paper. Divide dough into 4 portions. Roll out one portion between two pieces of greaseproof paper to avoid sticking, until 3-4mm thick. Repeat with remaining portions.
5. Use a gingerbread man cutter to cut out the dough, then use a scraper if necessary to carefully peel the dough from the greaseproof rolling paper and transfer to the prepared baking trays. Leave a small space between each gingerbread man and once trays are full place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool completely before icing as desired.
To make for tree ornaments; Use a 7cm-diameter round pastry cutter to cut out 42 biscuits. Use a 4cm-diameter round pastry cutter to cut a hole, just off-centre, in each biscuit. Use a 7cm-long teardrop pastry cutter to cut out 20 biscuits. Use a skewer to punch a small hole in the widest end of each teardrop biscuit. Place biscuits, about 1cm apart, on the prepared trays. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from oven and set aside, on trays, for 1 hour or until cooled completely.