Corn and Zucchini Fritters
|Serve with Cured Salmon, click image for recipe|
1 large whole corn cob (or 1 420gr tin corn kernels)
4 medium zucchinis
1 medium potato (I used Desiree)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 brown onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 sprigs coriander, chopped
1 sprig mint, chopped
2 sprigs parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
olive oil for cooking
1. Wrap the corn in foil and toast over a hot char grill/barbecue plate or toast in a pan (unwrapped with husk removed) over the stove. Cook through and allow to brown, then remove and cut the corn off the cob using a sharp knife.
2. Grate the zucchini and potato together into a colander and squeeze over a bowl or sink to remove excess liquid. Add the chopped herbs.
3. Heat a little oil in a large, non-stick frypan and saute the onion and garlic until transparent. Add to the zucchini mix, season and mix well. Add the cooled corn, eggs and combine well, then fold in the flour right at the end. If mix seems too runny you can add more flour, or alternately if it seems dry then you can add a splash of milk if needed (It should be quite thick and hold its shape when you spoon it into the pan)
4. To cook, heat oil in a pan on medium-low and place spoonfuls around the pan**, spreading them out slightly so they are even thickness. Cook on both sides until golden and firm. Transfer to absorbent paper and repeat the process until all the batter is gone.
5. Serve hot with some smoked or cured salmon and a soft boiled or poached egg, alternatively allow them to cool, wrap them individually in glad wrap and place them in a container in the freezer- use for children's lunches or a nice afternoon snack.
** Before doing the whole batch, do a tester one first and taste to make sure the seasoning doesn't need adjusting.