Carrot Cake with Vanilla Yoghurt Frosting
|Perfect for afternoon tea!|
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
1 Tbs ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/6 cup vegetable oil
3 medium carrots (240gr), peeled and finely grated
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup pitted, chopped dates
1 cup low-fat Greek Yoghurt
2 Tbs Philadelphia light cooking cream
2 Tbs sifted icing sugar
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius fan-forced. Grease a 20cm cake pan, or a rectangular slice or brownie tin (I did this so I could cut even squares for my lunchbox :-)).
2. Mix the milk, eggs, oil and sugar together using a wooden spoon, then mix the carrot into the wet ingredients. Add the chopped dates and walnuts
3. Sift** the flours and spices together then fold into the wet mix to form a smooth batter. Pour into the greased tin and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
4. Leave to cool to room temperature, then make the icing by mixing all the ingredients together well.
5. Remove cake from tin, then spread the icing over the cake. Cut into wedges or squares and serve.
** To aerate and combine the flours I like to place them in a separate bowl and use a balloon whisk to stir them well, you'll see this has the same effect as passing through a sifter and is a lot easier!
Recipe adapted from taste.com