Grilled Snapper with Jerusalem Artichokes, Fresh Tomato and Salsa Verde
What is a Jerusalem Artichoke? Well its not from Jerusalem and it's not really an Artichoke (although apparently they both belong to the daisy family), it looks a lot like ginger, but is kind of like a potato. It's got a bit of sweetness to it although not as much as a sweet potato.
So now you're sufficiently confused I'll tell you they're pretty good for you, being low in starch and fat and having a decent protein content (they're great for diabetics). They go well with lots of things because they don't have a strong flavour- they can be used in soups, sliced raw in salads (similar consistency to a water chestnut), and anything you can think of serving potato with. Although these suckers are better steamed and roasted rather then boiled. Oh and you can make alcohol out of them too!
You will need... (2 serves)
2 white fish fillets, de scaled and pin-boned
4 jerusalem artichokes
1 large desiree potato (to bulk it out)
salt and pepper
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees celsius (about 430 degrees Fahrenheit)
2. Peel the Jerusalem Artichokes and potato, cut the potato to the same size pieces to the artichokes.
3. Place in a steamer over simmering water for 10-15 minutes and then transfer to a baking dish with a little salt, pepper and olive oil and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden, turning occasionally.
4. Make the salsa verde as per the recipe, and refrigerate
5. Score the skin of the fish to stop it from curling up. Season with salt and pepper and rub with a little olive oil (or olive oil spray)
6. Heat a Pan over a medium-high heat and place your fish, skin side down to cook for 3-4 minutes. Use a fish flipper to lightly press it down if it begins to curl (don't press too hard to compress the flesh)
7. Carefully turn the fillet once the skin has turned golden and crisp. The opposite side should only need 1-2 minutes, remove and rest as you would a piece of meat.
8. Once the artichokes and potato have been removed from the oven, and the fish is sealed, quickly slice the cherry tomatoes, serve with the artichokes on the base, fish on top, a sprinkling of the tomatoes and salsa verde to finish.