CUPCAKE WEEK... Day 3: Chilli Chocolate Cupcakes

I like this cuppy! I used a chocolate cake recipe that I had used in the past from taste.com Then added some chilli and cinnamon. I tasted the mix after I baked it and couldn't really taste enough chilli so I then sprinkled extra chilli on top and adjusted the recipe for future reference.



You will need...
125gr unsalted softened butter
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup plain flour
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
150gr dark chocolate chips (good quality makes a better cupcake)
3/4 cup of hot water out of the tap
1/2 tsp chilli powder (adjusted recipe)
1 pinch cinnamon

Method...
1. Preheat your oven to 160 degrees celsius and line 2 x 12-hole muffin or cupcake pans with patty pans.
2. Add 100gr of the chocolate and all the water together in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on medium-low for 1 minute, remove and stir. If the chocolate has not dissolved, microwave on medium for a further 30 seconds.
3. Using and electric mixer, blend the butter, sugar, cinnamon and chilli together until light in colour and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well.
4. Sift the flours together with the cocoa. Then, while continuing to beat on low, add the flours slowly, until the mix is almost like a dough, then add the chocolate water. Mix briefly to combine well. Add the remaining 50gr of chocolate chips to the mix and fold in.
5. Spoon the mix into the prepared patty pans- only about 2/3 of the way full. Place the trays in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and leave to cool.

Icing...
2 cups icing mixture
3/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup warmed milk.

Method...
1. Sift the icing mixture and cocoa together. Using a whisk, slowly pour in the warmed milk. It should come together to a thick consistency while whisking and soften up once you stop moving it (this is due to the cornstarch in the icing mixture), but it shouldn't be too runny.
2. Spread the mixture over the top of the cupcake using a clean butter knife. Use a smooth circle motion  starting from the top and working your way around the top of the cupcake.

Once I iced it, I then topped it with a little fondant chilli that I made myself. I think in future I'll add some other flavour like orange or cherry to help bring out an extra sweetness to balance the chilli and dark chocolate.



I hope my bestie- Maddie, who requested this recipe gives it a go at home because it's pretty delicious!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

George Calombaris' Pasticcio (AKA Greek Lasagna)

Anna-Maria's Zucchini Slice

Beef, Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni